Yes, real life gets in the way, and this was the subject of a couple of posts I read yesterday, namely The Decline of Hardcore, a guest post on BioBreak, and On “The Decline of Hardcore” from I Have Touched the Sky. Of course they were talking about hardcore gamers, but really it was about growing up, getting a life, and not having as much time to play games any more (even though there are plenty of versions of ‘us’ from 10 or more years ago filling in those slots I’m sure).
I’ve never been a hardcore gamer if you go by the majority definition, no 6 night a week raiding or anything like that, but I do consider myself a hardcore gamer in that I spend a ‘significant’ number of hours every week playing games. Mostly MMO’s, but also plenty of Steam games and iPad games (and I’m about to lose many tens of hours in Fieldrunners 2!).
So here’s a bit about me:
- I’m an Aussie from way back, at least 4 generations that I know of. Before then I think it’s mostly England, Scotland, France.
- My husband and I are a mini Brady Bunch (without Alice unfortunately), 4 teenagers between us, all of them gamers … naturally😀
- We are busy packing to move😦, so gaming time is limited at the moment, one of the down sides to renting is that there’s no guarantee that you can stay in one house for more than a year or so. Melbourne and Sydney houses are incredibly expensive to buy, and why buy a massive house when most of the kids will be out of home in a few short years … maybe😛
- Leelu comes from the movie The Fifth Element, I love Gary Oldman movies, Dracula from back in 1992 being my favourite.
- I was very sad when, after pre-ordering The Secret World and being able to put a name aside, that Leelu was already taken. My current character is Leeftea instead, after re-rolling to Templar from Dragon so that our little wandering guild could all get together in a Cabal. I will miss the butterflies.
- I’ve been playing games since … well, a long time. My first memory of playing games was on the Merlin, I thought it was ace, then came the Commodore 64 which meant more games, and coding😀.
- My collection of Steam Games is down right embarrassing. How dare they do such tempting sales.
- I work in what little is left of the gaming industry here, and for that I am extremely grateful!